I don’t know if you have noticed, but there are never enough hours in a day.
Who am I kidding?
Of course you have noticed. If you are like me, you can’t remember where you put your keys because you are thinking about appointments, to-do lists and if you brushed your teeth already today. Does that hit home?
Well a few weeks ago, I got a message from a client who was
asking pleading for help. She has a newborn and three year old. Read what she said…
I know what it feels like to be overwhelmed. Do you?
I know what it feels like to put myself last. Do you?
I know what it feels like to think about giving up. Do you?
I felt so bad for her and wanted to help!
The same week I chatted with my client, I had a team call for Beachbody. As us girls sat in our pajamas on our beds (that’s right, it’s like a cyber pajama party!) we talked about some tips from a recent training. One of the points that came up hit home; THE WORK IS NEVER DONE.
How many times have you crawled in bed late because you need to get just one more thing done?
How many times have you said, “Just a minute sweetie, Mommy has to do this really quick.”
How many times have you rejected your spouse from intimate time together because you are too tired?
Let’s face it…motherhood and life in general can be defeating! Between housework, regular work, being a wife and being a mommy, you and I are pulled in a million directions. We could always be doing more and I hate to break it to you but it never gets easier. The good news is, you aren’t the only one going through this AND you can learn how to work smarter, not harder.
1) Start scheduling your time by priority. I make a list with 3 columns; NOW, this week, later. If you think about your to-do list as an entire week you are surely going to be overwhelmed. What if you just focus on today? Cross those things off and IF you have time, move on to the next columns. If you REALLY want to get fancy with your lists you can try the Awesome Note app, but I think it’s kinda time consuming.
2) Something’s gotta give. You aren’t superwoman and the expectation of being a perfect housewife is bologna. It’s okay if you don’t vacuum or pick up the toys today. Bills, food, taking care of yourself and sharing moments with your family are more important. The house won’t fall down because you didn’t clip coupons tonight.
3) Ask for help. I am SO bad at this. I almost feel like a failure when I have to ask for help or accept help. WHY IS THAT?! I need to get better at asking Rob to do small things for me or even reaching out to a friend/family member when I feel overwhelmed. Grandma Tybo picked up Quinn on Saturday this past week and I had four hours to get some things done; it was glorious! I realized how much it helped to have an extra hand.
4) Let it be. You know…like the Beatle’s song. If at the end of the day, you didn’t get it all done, will you be okay? Most likely, you will! You need to clear your mind and get rest so that you can tackle tomorrow. Keep a notepad by your bed and if anything pops into your head that you need to remember to take care of, jot it down and FUGETABOUTIT!
5) Do something with yourself. Whether you get in a quick workout or you take 5 minutes to put on a little makeup, you will feel MUCH better. If you feel good, you will be more productive. It’s true. How much do you get done when you wear the same sweatpants for 24 hours? If you are like me… not a whole lot.
That’s a start! I hope this helps. My client took the advice I gave her and ran with it. Her husband couldn’t stop telling her how beautiful she was with makeup on and she felt 100 times better about herself. I was so happy to help her feel great!
Which piece of advice are you going to start doing?
Which is hardest for you to do?
Who is your support that can help you out when you need it?